The best (or best-behaved at least) divorcing couples approach the process agreeing: “You keep your stuff; I’ll keep mine.” Then there are those couples that take a different approach. Instead of an amicable handshake and a pleasant, conscious uncoupling, some soon-to-be divorcees put their divorce attorney on speed dial and don’t quit until they have way more than their fair share. But with figures this high at stake, who could blame them? Here are a few celebrities who owe their divorce attorney a nice big hug.
1. Linda Hogan Hulk Hogan’s wife received 70%of their liquid assets, in addition to other property, in their 2009 settlement. Public records show that Linda got a total of $7.44 million, while Hulk Hogan, in some sort of a legal headlock, received only $2.97 million. Linda spent 26 years married to Hulk Hogan – which breaks her settlement into a little over $286,000 a year. Not a bad salary!
2. Dayanara Torres The former Miss Universe and former Mrs. Marc Anthony reportedly receives $16,500 per month in alimony and child support, but is currently seeking to raise that number to a whopping $113,000 per month.
3. Jason Hoppy Only fans of the Bravo channel may be familiar with Mr. Hoppy, who is currently divorcing his former reality TV co-star, businesswoman, sometimes-chef, and developer of the Skinny Girl brand of low-calorie cocktails, Bethenny Frankel. The two have not yet reached a settlement, but she reportedly shelled out $100,000 to pay Hoppy’s divorce attorney after a court ordered her to pay his legal fees in order to continue the case.
4. Juanita Jordan In what may be the biggest celebrity divorce pay-out to date, Michael Jordan’s ex-wife received $168 million. Somewhere her lawyer is hopefully sipping champagne on a beach after working that hard.
5. Guy Ritchie Who can forget Guy Ritchie and Madonna? Another showing for the gentlemen! Guy won more than $75 million in his split from Madonna. While he later told media that the marriage was “a soap opera,” his lawyer didn’t quit until the material girl coughed up quite a bit of cash.
6. Heather Mills In her 2008 separation from Paul McCartney, former model Heather Mills won $48 million. Thereafter, she changed her look and let the spending begin!
If you are currently battling your former spouse in a divorce and are unable to agree on numbers, let these celebrities be an inspiration to hold strong to get at least your fair piece of the pie. Stay strong and may your divorce attorney be with you.
Separating from your spouse in Kalamazoo? Divorce attorney firm Stancati, Markou & Hencken is here to assist. Learn more: http://www.stancatilaw.com/legal-services/family-law-and-divorce/.