Automobile Accidents A Post-Crash Checklist
While accidents do happen, there’s no reason why anyone should suffer with the physical, emotional and psychological trauma caused by another driver’s recklessness or negligence. With over 6 million car accidents a year in the United States, a statistic that is steadily rising, every victim of a crash faces mounting medical bills. Along with serious physical injuries, an automobile accident can be an extremely traumatic event that could require expensive psychiatric evaluation and treatment. Finally, a fatal injury, the loss of a loved one caused by another’s rash driving, is without a doubt, the single most painful experience associated with automobile accidents. All factors considered, an accident could very likely change your life – financially and psychologically.
For any victim of an automobile accident, here’s a quick checklist of the steps to be taken:
* Insist on a report being filed with the police or highway patrol;
* Jot down the name, vehicle license number, driver’s license number address and insurance information of any and all other persons involved in the accident;
* Obtain the names, addresses and telephone numbers of all witnesses;
* Photograph the accident scene including all vehicles involved and any visible damage;
* Do not speak with anyone about the accident or injuries other than your doctor or lawyer, especially not an insurance adjuster;
* Do not enter into any agreements without consulting an automobile accident lawyer. More often than not, truthful statements made with the intention of good will are easily misinterpreted and turned against you;
* Seek proper medical attention and explain to your physician or surgeon the precise details of the injury(ies) along with all symptoms and complaints;
* Make sure you report any memory problems, disorientation or confusion, no matter how insignificant these may seem at the time.
Automobile accidents fall squarely under personal injury tort law. As such, every victim has the right to receive a damage settlement from the guilty party, or their insurance carrier. The tedious process of handling the legal, insurance and medical paperwork as well as the phone calls, time and effort may be for naught if you do not seek qualified and experienced personal injury lawyers in California. It is prudent to choose personal injury attorneys who specialize in making sure you are compensated for the damages you have suffered, while you make a complete and hassle-free recovery. Furthermore, local lawyers understand local laws best. You’d be better off choosing a personal injury lawyer in Manhattan Beach if you happen to be injured there. A good attorney can legally establish that the other driver was at fault, take on the might of the insurance company and its lawyers and secure a fair settlement for all damages you may have incurred.